Following the violent attack on the U.S. Capitol, the National Association of Evangelicals joins with member denominations and others in calling for prayer and fasting for the healing of the nation.
Message From NAE President Walter Kim
We do not know how this tragic event will impact our nation for future generations, but we know that God calls us to come before him with our laments, confessions, pleas and praises. He is sovereign. The prophet Micah tells us that the Lord requires that we do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with our God (Micah 6:8). As we come before God, let us pray:
- For those who perpetrated the attacks on the Capitol, and the broader attacks on our democracy, to be held accountable and brought to justice and repentance;
- For truth to reign in our conversations and our communities;
- For President Trump, during the final days of his administration, that he will fulfill his duties responsibly;
- For President-elect Biden, that he will have wisdom as he prepares to assume office on January 20;
- For protection of our nation from any adversaries who would seek to harm us during this perilous transitional period;
- For healing of relationships between Americans who are deeply divided by partisanship, that they will seek to resolve their differences peacefully and cooperate where possible for the common good;
- For protection of those in other countries suffering persecution, who have seen the United States as a model of democracy, who may now be endangered as dictators are emboldened to commit further abuses; and
- For all who follow the Prince of Peace, that we will humble ourselves before God and allow the light of Christ to shine through us into our dark and broken world.
May we know the Lord’s comfort and strength in our prayer: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6–7).
P.S. Additional resources include:
- Statement | NAE Denounces Insurrection at the U.S. Capitol
- Discipleship Resource | For the Health of the Nation
- Sermon from January 10, 2021 | Our Mission of Faith: Bearing Witness
- Biblical Model for Corporate Fasting based on Daniel 9