Message From the President
The world is confronting a pandemic. It is a harsh reality that requires an honest appraisal. This virus has inflicted devastating consequences in the loss of life and in the disruption to ways of life. In a time of crisis we turn to God’s Word for guidance and comfort.
God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
The psalmist embraces the reality and magnitude of life’s problem — the earth gives way, mountains quake, waters roar. But he puts everything under the title of an even greater reality: “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.”
With this perspective, let’s ask ourselves four questions.
- How can we call others to entrust their anxieties to the Lord and to have our hearts guarded in Christ Jesus (Philippians 2:4–6)?
- How can we apply the principle of love (Mark 12:30–31)? Decisions to change or cancel worship services and programming can be real expressions of love and care for the vulnerable among us and for the well-being of our communities (Jeremiah 29:7).
- With the best information and the deepest faith, what is the wisest decision for the church and the community (Proverbs 15:22)?
- How may this crisis be an opportunity to serve sacrificially (2 Corinthians 8:1–7)? Christians are often the first to help in crises and the last to leave — whether it is the medical missionary serving patients devastated by Ebola in Africa or the local church who provides care to those traumatized by a natural disaster.
The following are resources that we share to assist in your faithful and faith-filled preparations.
NAE Partners With Humanitarian Disaster Institute
The NAE is partnering with the Humanitarian Disaster Institute (HDI) at Wheaton College to provide tools for your ministry to faithfully plan and prepare for the impact of COVID-19. On its coronavirus webpage, HDI offers a free step-by-step, research-informed and faith-based planning manual for churches, as well as links to articles and resources.
We invite you to join us every Friday at 12 p.m. CST for a free webinar. In these weekly webinars, we will share research, resources and essential tools as this public health crisis unfolds. You’ll also gain insights into how to address the fear and anxiety that many people currently feel.
We also hope you will join us online on March 26 & 27 for the COVID-19 Church Online Summit. As the situation with COVID-19 changes at a rapid pace, it’s important to continue thinking strategically and collectively about how we can serve our congregations and communities. During this two-day digital summit you will learn from leaders around the world about how your church can respond well to the coronavirus outbreak.
Resources From NAE Members & Friends
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American Bible Society
- Assemblies of God
- Christian & Missionary Alliance
- The Alliance Updates page offers the latest news and stories. Scroll to the bottom of the page for videos.
- Christian Reformed Church in North America
- On the its COVID-19 Resource page, the CRC offers a list of curated resources and a forum for churches to learn from each other.
- Christianity Today
- Church of the Nazarene
- The Church of the Nazarene hub includes resources and statements from Nazarene leaders.
- Converge Worldwide
- This Converge hub includes responses from Converge leaders and churches, technology how-tos, human resources information, outreach ideas and more.
- Evangelical Covenant Order of Presbyterians (ECO)
- ECO’s COVID-19 webpage offers encouragement, prayer and sharing, a list of live streaming ECO churches, administration and church resources, among other items.
- Evangelical Free Church in America
- The EFCA’s COVID-19 resource webpage includes leadership messages, updates, tips and helpful links.
- Evangelical Presbyterian Church
- Fellowship of Evangelical Churches
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
- LifeWay Ministry Grid
- National Latino Evangelical Coalition
- Open Bible Churches
- Outreach Media
- Presbyterian Church in America
- Seventh Day Baptists
- The Brethren Church
- Articles, resources and updates from The Brethren Church can be found on its Articles page.
- The Wesleyan Church
- The Wesleyan Church hub includes announcements, resources, stories, articles and more.
- World Evangelical Alliance
- The WEA has designated Sunday, March 29 as a Global Day of Prayer & Fasting. Its webpage includes ideas and resources to guide people through the day of prayer.
- Year of the Bible
- Check out the Bible Quarantine video series created to inspire engagement with the Bible during this season.